Wow. It has been a long time since I have sat down to blog. So here I am with my first of many blogs to come. For the first prompt about working the gap which is the space between what is already there and what could possibly be there, I am choosing to write about one of my focus students. He is in my 4th grade class. Let's call him Jack. Jack is a student that comes into class without his planner signed and does not start the morning task on his desk, but instead starts to read. When he is told to put down the book he refuses until it is taken away from him. When the teacher is giving instructions or lecturing Jack is still engrossed in his book. He knows that he is reading at a 7th grade reading level and tells you this when you try to take the book away. I am wondering as a teacher, how am I going to be able to get him to pay attention and focus on other subjects besides reading? Does he resort to reading because he does not like the other subjects in school? I guess I am really intrigued by Jack and I want to know how I can reach him throughout this year.
I have noticed that when he is given a job/responsibility that he takes it seriously and completes it thoroughly with hardly any mistakes. He has an IEP for writing, but other than that is a very smart kid!
let's not forget that all behavior is purposeful. Remember Dreikurs' "Cooperative Discipline"? Sounds like Jack is looking for attention ("look at me") and engaging in a power struggle. Don't get caught in the trap! Perhaps try a "could it be" question. "Could it be that you would rather be doing that rather than what we've asked or requested?" Sounds like numerous tasks would make him more engaged and then perhaps in turn about, by doing his work, he can then be rewarded with more responsibilities? just a thought.
ReplyDelete