Monday, October 17, 2011
Can Blogging Change a Student's Life?
After reading today's article, about having students start a blog that turns into something they want to blog about, I begin to think about a boy in my dyad remedial reading class. He is a 7th grader that is always in trouble, in the office, and acting out in class. The other day he was supposed to be doing work independently and he chose not to, so I asked why. He proceeded to tell me that he wasn't going to be anything in life so that school did not matter. After hearing this, I instantly began to wonder what was going on in his life and how I might be able to get to this child. He is bright, but it seems like he needs someone to pay attention to him. This article made me wonder how he would do if he got the opportunity to blog. Would blogging help him to focus and see himself as something more? I am going to see if my dyad teacher would consider this a valuable asset to his education. I am puzzled on how to get through to this boy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You mentioned that you spoke to this boy and he said “he wasn’t going to be anything in life.” I am wondering if you know much else about him. Do you know if he has any interests outside of school or what his family life is like? You said he was bright but he is in remedial reading…how does he do in his other subjects at school? I am just curious if you have had the opportunity to connect with him; if he does indeed have a passion, blogging about it may be a great idea.
ReplyDelete