Before talking this elementary mathematics methods
course I had never heard of talk moves. They are beneficial in mathematics when
we as teachers are trying to elicit students’ ideas, but I can also see where
they are beneficial in other subjects. Throughout this quarter I have been
working on using talk moves in the math class as well as in my main placement.
I even found myself asking students to revoice what I just said after I gave
directions for an assignment. This is very helpful because then I do not get as
many questions about what the directions were if I ask a couple of students to
tell me what they just heard me say.
Many
talk moves that I have used are focused around revoicing and reasoning. I have
said things such as “So you are saying…” and “If I understand correctly…” This
is a way to revoice students’ opinions and ideas without them thinking that you
are dismissing their idea by saying it wrong to the class when you revoice it
without these beginning phrases. I have noticed that students are more likely
to say “Actually this is what I meant” after I have tried to revoice and
understand what they were trying to say. This is a way for the students to know
that the teacher isn’t always right and they have a chance to correct
themselves.
I am
constantly asking students to repeat what so and so just said because I think
it is a way to keep students accountable for listening when other students are
talking. I also like to use student’s names when asking them to revoice so the student
knows who had this idea. For example, I would say something like “What Jenny is
saying…” I will also call on a student and ask them if they agree or disagree
with what has just been said. I feel that it is great to get students’ opinions
about other students’ ideas.
No comments:
Post a Comment